"Delay in essential reconstructive surgery"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Trauma & orthopaedics

March 2015 suffered severe shoulder trauma, discharged early May to await appointment to discuss athroplasty, an essential procedure as I am paraplegic and loss of shoulder function had considerable effects on independence, mobility and quality of life. July appointment cancelled, August appointment I was told I had to be referred to a consultant at Glasgow Royal as the procedure could not be done at Crosshouse, told I should get appointment in 6-12 weeks and consultant led treatment 6 weeks after. Mid November contacted GRI as no word of appointment to find out the consultant there did not need to see me and the consultant at Crosshouse was sent a letter re this in early September, tried phoning.

GRI made another appointment for me but treated it as a new referral, got word from Crosshouse in late November to say my letter had been awaiting attention (from mid Sept till end November). The result is, I don't have an appointment till February. Any treatment could start mid March, which will be 12 months after the trauma and 6 months since Crosshouse moved me on....extremely poor service.

Dear diesel,

I am really sorry to read that there has been such a delay in your appointment and the issues that seem to be have resulted from the communication between the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Crosshouse Hospital.

I am pleased that you now have an appointment and hope that from that point it will be a much more positive experience for you. I will pass on your feedback to the right colleagues to see what happened here and what we can do to make sure that such communication between different Boards goes much more smoothly - will come back to you with more information about that as soon as possible.

In the meantime, if there is anything else, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

Best Wishes,

Lorna

Dear Diesel,

Please firstly accept my apologies for my late response due to my unexpected absence. I would like to add, like Lorna, I too am so sorry about the delay. As you rightly point out, it will have impacted on your life immensely. Lorna has offered to look into this to understand what happened. If there is anything I can help with, please feel free to contact me on 01563 826222 or email me on eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.

I hope you get your Arthroplasty very soon and your recovery is swift, getting you back to the best health possible.

Best wishes,