"Visit to A &E Crosshouse Hospital"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

I had to to take my daughter to A & E recently. She is Type 1 Diabetic and her ketones were very high.

When she was taken through by the nurse I was directed to a seating area and my daughter had to go to resus on her own - my daughter was very frightened. Now I realise my daughter is 20 years old ( as does she) but her last experience of A & E was not good! She was put in intensive care.

But to be told by the nurse "your are a big lassie you don't need your mum to hold your hand" seems to lack a certain empathy! When my daughter's sugars are raised and her ketones are raised she needs familiarity and a little kindness.

She said once in resus the nurse did not explain what she was doing, didn't speak to her. Not great customer service. The consultant on the other hand was great.

I understand why you don't want parents/carers there but maybe nurses with a little more caring attitude would be good. Not just annoyed because I seemed to be 'over protective'. With our past experiences I think I have every right.

Dear Catrine,

No matter how old our children get, they are still our children and it is understandable that we want to make sure they get the best care whilst understanding what is happening. This must be scary and make people feel quite isolated as I am sure you did too. We really all deserve to have things explained to us too. I am sorry this distressed you and that your daughter did not have a good experience the last time either. Thank you for sharing your story and I will pass your story to the management team for their consideration.

I hope your daughter is fully recovered now.

Kind regards,

• Catrine thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Catrine (a parent/guardian)

Thanks very much for your response, Eunice. You at least seem to realise that "children"can still apply at 20 years old. It's the fact that she was feeling so vulnerable and I felt that the nurse seemed to have a problem with me and obviously classed my daughter as "mollycoddled"! How dare a frightened girl be judged like that, whose last visit did result in dka and 5 days intensive care.

She's not quite recovered unfortunately and we are still monitoring her. But hopefully no more trips to A & E for a while..

Thanks for this though. Helps that someone is listening at least.