On 4 January I had a hernia repair as a day case in the Winfield and should have returned home the same evening.

However the medical staff were not satisfied with my ECG readings and decide to keep me overnight - a decision made about 7pm.

I was then told that the kitchen had closed at 5.30pm and all I had been allowed to consume during the entire day was a cup of tea and three biscuits.

This was for sound clinical reasons.

Fortunately one of the catering staff found me the last sandwich (in the building?) and put my name on it so I survived the night.

Surely it would not be too difficult to provide for late catering decisions of the above sort?

Would it not be possible to give staff access to a micro-wave with heat-able items such as cartons of soup or similar packages, airline style?

Response from Winfield Hospital

I am very sorry that we hadn't made sufficient arrangements to provide an evening meal for you following your procedure at Winfield hospital. I have shared your comments with the catering and ward staff so that we can avoid a reoccurence by planning ahead and providing additional resources in case planned daycase patients end up staying overnight.

Thank you for sharing your experience as this gives us the opportunity to make improvements

Kathie Rimmer