"Outpatient booking office wait time"

About: Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

(as a parent/guardian),

On behalf of my son, I called the Booking Office to cancel an appointment.

During the course of the day (06. 01. 2016), I attempted to call the Booking Office 3 times. On each occasion I waited more than 20mins to get through and only on one occasion did I make it into number 10 in the queue - where sat for another 10 mins before hanging up.

On your website (http: //www. surreyandsussex. nhs. uk/patients-visitors/outpatients/) - it states that I can request a callback once an agent becomes available. This function does not work.

It further states that I can leave a message on the booking office phone outside office hours. This function does not work either.

Rather than being a no-show for the appointment, I have made a significant effort to cancel the appointment to save the NHS precious resources. Having key functions that should help reduce waste not working is not contributing to this.

FYI - we are generally very happy with the services we receive at the hospital.

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Nielstch

Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced yesterday in calling our Outpatient Booking Office. While our lines have been extremely busy since the holiday period, I am very concerned that you did not have an option to request a call back, or was able to leave a message outside our opening hours.

I would like to look into this further to see if there are issues with our system. Please could you email me your contact details so that I can get more details from you. My email address is: linda.judge@sash.nhs.uk

Yours sincerely