"A and E visit"

About: Royal Bolton Hospital

2 however I felt that the triage system was a tick box exercise. I was asked to describe my symptoms but was interrupted. I was informed that a BP of 190/80 was normal (not for me). A urine sample at this point would have been useful. No past medical history was taken and the nurse assessing, scored my pain of 2/3 without actually asking, it was considerably more than that. I explained that the pain had been in existence since the day before and was uncontrolled by the analgesia I had taken, the nurse then asked why I hadn't taken any on the morning I presented, which was clearly obvious. I also would not have presented at A and E if I didn't feel it was essential to do so.

I felt that the remainder of my experience was fine.

Response from Royal Bolton Hospital

We're sorry that you felt that your experience was not a good one when visiting our department. All our patients are assessed using the Manchester Triage system to prioritise clinical need. Although you have raised concerns regarding the blood pressure reading of 190/80 this as a standalone reading would not trigger on an early warning score. Urine samples are not routinely taken by the triage nurse and would if deemed necessary be carried out as part of the investigation and management plan. Pain assessment is an integral part of the Manchester Triage process and the nurse should most definitely have assessed the patients pain score using a pain score tool which reflects the patient’s pain on a score of 1 to 3 (mild =1, moderate =2, severe =3) We must apologise that this does not appear to have happened. Limited analgesia may be administered by the triage nurse however in order to do this safely the nurse must establish what analgesia the patient has taken prior to attending the department. We hope this explanation addresses your concerns.