"A&E and Fracture Clinic"

About: Whipps Cross University Hospital

I attended A&E on friday and wad told i had fractured my knee.

I was given the option of a plaster cast or splint.

I asked for a splint only to be told that they had run out of splints.

I did not want a plaster cast as I live alone and it would have been really difficult getting around so opted to get splint from the fracture clinic.

Only appointment they had wad Wednesday however 6 days away.

I decided to call the clinic on Monday as I was in pain but although both whipps x operator and I tried several times over a few hours no one answered the phone.

A few times an answer machine kicked in asking caller to leave a message.

I did this but again no one has called me back yet. In the end I had to attend a&e again going through the whole process again to get the splint.

This is an extremely unacceptable service. At least someone in the department should answer the phones and if they can't the phones should be diverted to someone who can answer them.

Response from Whipps Cross University Hospital

Dear JB

We are sorry to read about the difficulties you experienced during your visit and whilst trying to contact the clinic. As you will appreciate this is a very busy time of year for our A&E Service and the Fracture Clinic, and our staff work hard to provide the best service possible. However, you should have been able to speak to someone over the phone to discuss your splint and to prevent you coming to A&E a second time.

We apologies for this.

We really value your feedback which we will use to make improvements where needed. Your review has been passed onto the team in A&E and the fracture clinic.

Barts Health NHS Trust