"Very poor service at Victoria hosp"

About: Victoria Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

I was told by my GP to go into hospital for some test, you can understand that out of the blue I was worried. I got to admissions 2 at the Victoria pretty quickly. I was checked then sent to a small ward of 4 beds to wait, wait, and wait. Over an hour later, a nurse turned up to ask why I was in. I was told that someone would be in to put a line in and that I would need to go for a CT scan.

I then waited calling to 3 or 4 nurses to ask about going to the toilet and what was happening. After a further hour, I managed to get one of the assistant to go and get a nurse (who got out her bed on the wrong side, she seemed like a very ignorant person). She told me to wait, 2 hrs later a nurse came round only because I had to shout on one to tell me that the drip was not on and started the drip. I explained that I had had nothing to eat or drink today she told me to wait AGAIN.

By this point, I phoned my husband to tell him, he came in as I had enough. He told me to stay and he was going to have a word with someone. I told him that I wanted to go as I was upset enough without getting any help from the NHS.

I'm not good at the best of times when it comes to hospitals, but to be treated in this manner is an absolute disgrace, and that nurses can talk to patient in the way I was spoken to made it worse. I've now come home and spoke with my husband and he wants to complain to the hospital for the way I was treated and spoken to and the delays. This is hard and to have to think I will need to go back make me frightened.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Mrs GC

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent hospital experience. This is not the experience we want for people attending and we do understand that coming into hosptial is a worrying time, as you say. Your post has been read and responded to by Mrs N Robertson, Head of Nursing. Mrs Robertson has responded as follows:

"I am very sorry to hear about your experience during your admission to Admissions Unit 2 at the Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy. We endeavour to provide a compassionate, patient-centred service at all times and I apologise the care you received has not met our usual high standards. As Head of Nursing, I would be very keen to speak to you about your experience if you feel this would be appropriate. My email address is Nicola.robertson12@nhs.net and telephone number is 01592 643355 extension 28144".

Louise Ewing