"feeling let down at maternity scan"

About: Inverclyde Royal Hospital / Maternity care

I had a Scan appointment booked to check on progress of some vital organs which were not easily presented at my 20 week anomaly scan, this was due to a previous late pregnancy loss. I waited for over 45 mins past my scan time as it was busy but can accept that and was patient. I got into the scan room to find I was being scanned a different consultant than was planned, this was fine with me as was having the junior doctor present.

I settled on the bed for my scan only to be told repeatedly by the consultant to move to the right, I felt as though I was hanging precariously on the edge of the bed and my leg was numb at the end trying to stay balanced, this annoyed me a little; so the scan started and finished quite quickly only for me to be told your baby is of average size and to come back in 3 weeks. I wasn't at the appointment for a growth scan? ? The consultant seemed to have no idea why I was there at all, he signed my book and sent me on my way.... an absolute waste of my time and his! It's tantamount to going in with a broken leg only for your arm to be checked!He at no point asked me why I was there or read my previous notes. if there was something wrong with the baby it would be now another 3 weeks before I would find out! I feel terribly let down.

Dear Kipper35,

I am really sorry to hear that your scan appointment did not go as expected and I would recommend as a first step that you talk to your midwife who will be able to discuss this with you and talk through any concerns you may have.

I have also taken on board your point about the need for clear communication between the professionals involved in your care. If you were able to provide a few more personal details, I could look into this in more detail for you, and to see how we can improve this in the future. You can do this by emailing my colleague Lorna Gray on Lorna.Gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

In the meantime, I’d like to wish you well with the remainder of your pregnancy,

Best Wishes,