"Lincoln and Boston a&e"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / Accident and emergency

Went to Lincoln A&E at around 7am the Saturday before last with a bad foot, unable to put weight on my heel. I was seen for an assessment shortly after and was told I'll need an xray.

Shortly afterwards the xray was taken and they were professional whilst doing it.

Shortly after that I was seen by a doctor who informed me that there wasn't a fracture, to keep taking painkillers and I was sent on my way with no other info about what was wrong.

Two days later it still hurt and I couldn't walk so I went to Boston A&E. I was then told it was tendon damage, to roll a can or bottle under my foot for five mins every now and again and to take ibuprofen. He told me I wouldn't be back at work for at least a week and to go to my gp in two weeks if it was still bad.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Hop-a-long,

Thank you for your post.

When you attended the A+E in Lincoln the priority for the clinical team was to ensure that there was no fracture in your foot. Once completed this showed no evidence of bone damage. It was then likely that injury the you had sustained would have been damage to the soft tissue around your foot.

On your second presentation due to the nature of your injury, the length of time within which it had not resolved and the pain you were suffering allowed the assessment undertaken to be more thorough.

It is not always possible within the timeframe you outline to identify immediately the cause of specific injuries of this type. Soft tissue damage in a foot can take up to 6 weeks to heal. Our standard advice for all injuries of this type is to protect the injury, rest it, elevate the limb, ice therapy (up to 20 minutes every 2 hours) and pain relief as indicated. Ibruprofen and Paracetamol would normally be the drugs of choice.

I would recommend seeing your GP if your ankle is not improving to allow for you to access physiotherapy support if indicated. I hope however that your foot is starting to recover.

I am sorry that you did not initially get all the information you felt would have wanted. However it is difficult to always effectively diagnose injuries of this type on initial presentation. If you need any more advice please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Michael Brunton

Matron Emergency Care

• Hop-a-long thinks this response is helpful

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Hop-a-long,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience in the A&E Department. I would be grateful for the opportunity to speak to you and identify the doctor who saw you and I wonder if you would be prepared to let us know your name so that we can work out who it was?

If you would be kind enough to contact our PALS team on 01522 707071, or by e-mail at pals@ulh.nhs.uk, they can take your details and pass them to me.

Dr D Flynn