"Triage - what triage"

About: Darent Valley Hospital

Booked into A&E with central chest pain and crushing headache for the second time in a week. Receptionist told me as its chest pain it would be a priority.

Called into triage after 32 minutes to sit next to a sign that says all chest pains to have an ECG within 10 mins so treat as a priority.

Needless to say no ECG done even though I handed in the discharge letter from 2 days previous to say abnormal ECG.

Nurse said that they would take a temperature and then couldn't as the nurse next door was using it. My notes had a pain score of 0 written down although I was not asked (8 would have been my answer) no questions about type of pain or how long it had been _m- I volunteered it aaxcentr and a big pressure but kitting written down. Nothing mentioned or asked about my headache which I had described as crushing.

As I was leaving the room the nurse said you said you had no medical history didn't you to which I then told them my medical history as had not yet been asked.

All in all was out in 3 minutes with minimal one taken and no ECG or questions for someone who has a probably cardiac condition.

As a fellow health care professional I vowed I would never leave a negative comment but have to say I am disgusted with today's treatment in triage. Good forbid anyone is seriously ill and seen by this person.

Response from Darent Valley Hospital

We were sorry to read of how unhappy you were with your triage experience in our A&E Department. Please would you be kind enough to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs) on 01322 428383 or email pals@dvh.nhs.uk in order that we can look into the concerns you have raised.

Thank you.