"Only go if its life or limb saving"

About: East Surrey Hospital

The least of our issue was the cleanliness of the ward and sideroom.

I never saw housekeeping cleaning. The floor was always dirty. The toilet had not been cleaned in 3 days.

The food table was never wiped down between meals.

Infection control issues here on a basic level. On a higher level we were told (a bit too late) that we should probably wear masks when in contact with pt but it was up to us. So lack of communication and put at risk of spreading infection to rest of ward and hospital.

The staff were always short staffed and always came across rushed.

Potential drug errors were made on more than one occasion.

Communication with patient could have been better.

And on discharge, nothing mentioned about pressure sores, and no aftercare mentioned, only when asked for a referal to district nurse that we got one.

Far too much to write on here and too personal to go into detail. And cannot assume every ward is like this.

These are things they can easily improve on and hopefully after feedback may help other patients.

Makes your appreciate other hospitals.

Response from Fiona Allsop, Chief Nurse, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

I was concerned to read your comments and am very sorry that this was your experience. I would like to be able to follow up in more detail so that we can understand what went wrong for you and what we can do to prevent this happening in the future. Could you please contact me on fiona.allsop@sash.nhs.uk or cathy.white@sash.nhs.uk to help us do this.

Many thanks