"Confidentiality at Lanark Health Centre"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Podiatry

On my last two visits to Lanark Health Centre I have been greeted by a very nice Receptionist . They takes your information in a professional manner and ask you to take a seat. From that moment on patient confidentiality goes out the window. they shout across the waiting area every couple of minutes What's your name? Who are you here to see? Your waiting on the Midwife aren't you? or other forms of embarrassing questions. I have also been privvy to the general chats coming from the little room off Reception where I could hear a blow by blow account of the telephone callers illness and medication. They obviously don't think that anyone can hear them as I then listened to them being particularly nasty about the gentleman when the call was terminated.

they seems very nice and well meaning and I'm not sure they realise what they are doing or how much embarrassment it could cause. It sometimes feels like they see you for the illness rather than the person you are.

Response from General Manager, South East Unit, NHS Lanarkshire We are preparing to make a change

Dear Lilac Gene,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences while attending Lanark Health Centre. I'm so glad to hear you found reception staff to be friendly and professional.

We take issues related to confidentiality very seriously and we will use your comments as well as consulting with other patients and staff to consider how we can make improvements in the main waiting area and the adjoining office.

I'll update you on improvements being introduced in the next few days.

Regards,

Marilyn Aitken

Response from Marilyn Aitken, General Manager, South East Unit, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

I'm pleased to be able to provide an update confirming that planned upgrade to the reception area in Lanark Health Centre should be carried out during January 2016. The reception area will be enclosed in glass to enhance patient privacy.

The administrator has also taken the opportunity to remind reception staff of the need to respect patient privacy by calling patients over to the reception desk before discussing details of their visit or personal details with them. We will also carry out small surveys of patients periodically so that patients can share any points with us to ensure the reception area maintains patient confidentiality at all times.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us

Regards,