"They come for a chat with me and my wife to see how things are going"

About: East Ayrshire Community Hospital East Ayrshire Council Ellisland Day Care

(as a service user),

I’ve had a lot of falls over the years. I had a bad fall a few months ago, I bumped my head and ended up in hospital. My wife normally looks after me at home but when I was discharged from hospital they arranged for social work to come out and visit.

I think someone comes out to visit at least once a week. They come for a chat with me and my wife. I think this is quite good. I like the company. I like seeing the different faces and being able to have a blether. The social worker and community nurse come out and chat about how everything is going. I think they were at my house for about 2 hours.

The social worker organised that I start going to the day centre once a week. I also go once a week to Cumnock hospital to the stroke group. Both places are fine, it’s good company. I enjoy going and I enjoy the lunches. The centres are very similar, you have a cup of tea, there are quizzes and you have lunch.

I’m still having lots of falls. I have a walking frame and I’m safe with it but when I use my stick I sometimes trip. The community nurse isn’t happy, everyone tells me not to use my stick but I don’t listen.

Dear SA123,

I am sorry you have had some falls, that must be worrying for the people close to you in case you really hurt yourself but I guess you will do what you will do though and continue using your stick. (Being stubborn can be a very useful tool sometimes).

Long may you continue to enjoy the lunch club and the stroke group (and the quizzes etc.).

Thank you for sharing this with us, I will make sure it is passed on so the staff know how you feel about it all.

best wishes,