"Overall experience from a & e to wards"

About: Grantham & District Hospital

I can only praise the wonderful staff, from surgeons, doctors to nurses and the wonderful cleaner that kept the ward clean....a brilliant team, given the obvious staff shortages that must have put unfair pressure on them.

However, I feel that it would be wrong of me if I also failed to mention one area where, I feel, retraining is sadly needed.

This department was A & E.

We have all heard the criticisms of A & E departments generally but from my own personal experience, it has made me feel that I hope I don't need the services of Grantham A & E again, unless a radical improvement can be made.

Staff were cold, irritated, lacked feeling and I was told,despite being in agonising pain, by one Nurse, that they didn't know why I was making such a fuss, they had had two children!

Please, retrain that Nurse.

What a shame, that department is having a detrimental effect on the hospital itself.

Perhaps it would be worth insisting that A & E staff retrain on the wards with the wonderful nursing staff to show them how they should be doing their job.

This has nothing to do with money or resources, this is purely an attitude problem.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

I am so sorry you felt A&E has let you down.

Please could you contact me directly, or contact our PALS team on 01476 464861 (e-mail pals@ulh.nhs.uk ) so I am able to take some details from you and address with the individual staff members.

This is not the kind of service we expect our patients to experience.

Teresa Shepherd