"A&E Experience"

About: North Devon District Hospital

I arrived at A&E in considerable pain with Acute Urinary Retention being unable to pass urine. My GP had telephoned ahead to alert the Urology staff that I was on my way and would need catheterising.

After an initial moments panic when I was advised that I may have to wait for some hours to be seen I was in fact seen within about five agonising minutes of my arrival. From that point I cannot speak more highly of the speed, care and professionalism of all staff. In particular my doctor. I was treated with great care and sensitivity throughout.

My only other experience of NDDC A&E was when admitted with acute gal bladder pain some five or six years ago and likewise my treatment was excellent. When you are in pain you really need the highest level of care and prompt attention and on both these occasions I was so grateful for the care I received.

Dear Mr Delahoy

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the website. I was very pleased to learn that you had such prompt and caring treatment. I have shared your positive comments with the service manager for the urology department, where they will be warmly recieved and passed on to the relevant clinician and team who looked after you during your visit to the hospital.

I do hope you have made a full recovery and thank you again for your feedback.

Best wishes