"poor accident and emergency service"

About: Warrington Hospital

I was advised to attend accident and emergency by the nhs 111 service and i went straight to warrington hospital due to the nature of the problem i was experiencing and was advised i would be seen by the orthapaedic team. However on my arrival i was told by the ED receptionist to do a self assessment on the machine next to the reception desk, to which I did then i was told to go straight through to be seen by the orthapeadic team for an assessment. Instead i was sent to minor injuries to be told to wait and i waited 2 whole hours to be seen by a member of the miu team. i was not treated with respect or dignity as they put me in a lot of pain and did not ask if they could have another nurse in the room with me. which i did not want as i felt the issue i had was very personal and very painful due to the nature of the injury i had suffered. i was not even given a full check over, although i had explained this to the nhs helpline earlier. I was shocked at such a lengthy waiting time and i explained i was in a lot of discomfort and was suffering numbness in my right leg and i was under the impression that this was serious as i could not feel my entire right leg . all in all i was disgusted with the overall service and was not sent to the correct team or department to resolve the matter.

Response from Warrington Hospital

Thanks for your comments. obviously in A&E and minor injuries we see patients in priority order and as soon as we possibly can but there can sometimes be delays - although it seems you were seen within two hours by the team. If you'd like to contact our PALS team on pals@whh.nhs.uk we can look at this in more detail for you.