"Sent home"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

I attended A&E on August 17th 2015 with a very sore and swollen ankle I was sent home without x rays. 6 weeks later my ankle gave away causing even more injury to ankle. x-rays were taken the second time showing a severer fracture and a brake to the ankle previously :( Duty of care?

Response from Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

Dear Miss C

I am sorry to hear that the care you received in August left you with on-going problems and culminated in a second injury requiring further hospital treatment.

Due to the nature of your concern I feel I must highlight this to the Emergency Department Matron for her to review more fully.

Please could I ask you to allow me two weeks to receive a full briefing from ED at which time I will respond to your concerns?

If you wish to share any further information regarding your visit please could I ask you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs) on 01202 704886 or pals@rbch.nhs.uk

Regards Sue Mellor Head of Patient Engagement

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Miss C

Thank you for allowing us time to investigate your posting. We have received a response from the senior sister in the Emergency Department which I have added below. Please see her apology and response.

“I am very sorry to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department. Being unable to check your details I cannot comment personally about your issues. In the ED we use internationally recognized Ottawa ankle rules for deciding if an x-ray is required, in your case the criteria was not met, however if you would like to contact the department direct (Becky Protopsaltis ED complaints coordinator - 01202 704062) we would be more than happy to discuss your care.

We would like to apologise that we have not met the high quality standards that we aspire to and hope that you will take up her offer to discuss this further.

Sue Mellor