"Hanging on the telephone only to be cut off..."

About: Wycombe Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I called to cancel/reschedule an appointment at High Wycombe Hospital Orthopedics department.

I was put in a queue and told I was #18 in the queue.

I waited on hold for 40-45 minutes and was then unceremoniously cut off after reaching position #5.

I called back and got a recorded message saying the department was closed.

And you wonder why people don't turn up for appointments instead of cancelling/rescheduling.

It would have been better if the recorded message telling me I was in the telephone queue also told me that the department closed at 5pm, although honestly I didn't expect to have to wait on hold for so long.

Response from Healthwatch Bucks

This sounds like a very frustrating experience indeed.

Altough we cannot resolve your issue, we can help your voice be heard further. I would like to draw your attention to a survey Healthwatch Bucks are doing on hospital appointment letters. It is a very short survey and you don't have to leave any personal details. If you have the time, we would really appreciate your feedback.

If you would like to find out more about Healthwatch Bucks you can visit our website www.healthwatchbucks.co.uk

Response from Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for your comments, and I am so sorry to read of your difficulties in trying to contact the Orthopaedic Department at Wycombe General Hospital. I can understand how frustrating this must of been for you.

May I direct you to call the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who may be able to offer you support and assistance.

The PALS team are available on 01296 316042 or 01494 425882 or alternatively you can email PALS@buckshealthcare.nhs.uk