"Wheelchair availability"

About: North Manchester General Hospital

The availability of wheelchairs for disabled patients at NMGH is disgraceful. There are never any of the pay £1 kind in any of the locations. The other day, when accompanying a disabled relative,

I had to walk from A&E to the main entrance (where there were no wheelchairs) , then through the hospital to the quad entrance (where again there were no wheelchairs). I saw a porter and asked where I could get one and after pleading with the porter they got one out of the porter's room for me. It was big and very old. I had to drag it back through the hospital, bring it down in the lift and drag it outside to A&E. Once there an ambulance driver tried to take it off me. The ambulance driver spoke to me in a very rude manner and implied that I should hand it over. I explained that I had had to search the hospital for it and that my relative was not able to walk through to the consulting area. I shouldn't have to defend my valid use of a wheelchsir or be spoken to in such s manner in front of s full waiting room. I don't know what we'd have done if I hadn't been able to walk the length of the hospital. Eighteen months ago there were plenty of new wheelchairs -where are they?

Response from North Manchester General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your needs.

We strive at all times to deliver the highest possible standard of care. We will use your comments to make improvements and forward your comments to the relevant area.

The Pennine Acute NHS Trust