"dispensing of pain relief."

About: Monklands District General Hospital / General Medicine

On admission to the Emergency Receiving Unit I was in considerable pain. I requested pain relief at 1. 15pm and did not get any until 5. 40pm (approx. ). When my wife spoke to a member of staff, prior to me getting pain relief, a staff member said in a very curt manner, "He didn't ask for any when I was there". My wife informed this member of staff that I had requested pain relief from another Nurse about 2 hours previously and she was angry that I had waited so long for pain relief. A short while later the staff member concerned asked to speak to my wife and apologised for her mistake, however my wife was, and is still, angry at the unprofessional attitude displayed towards her at a time when she was feeling stressed and anxious about my welfare.

Response from Ruth Thompson, Chief of Nursing Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Maggie10

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of the Emergency Receiving Unit at Monklands Hospital and please accept my apologies for this being far from satisfactory for both you and your wife.

Being admitted to hospital is a very stressful time, which can increase the intensity of your pain, therefore regular assessment and administration of analgesia is so important. I'm sorry that your pain control was insufficient. It is also important for nursing staff to understand the stress relatives are experiencing and your wife should not have been met with an uncaring attitude.

I am pleased that the nurse acknowledged her error and apologised to your wife however I do appreciate your wife remains angry with the situation.

It is important that we learn from patient and relative's experience and I will share your posting with the SCN and Senior Nurse for this area.