"renal clinic appointment"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Haematology New Victoria Hospital / Renal outpatients

I have been attending New Victoria Hospital in Glasgow for several years and over that time have had to live with a needle phobia. Because I may require a transplant soon I have been getting treatment for my phobia.

Today I put what I have been learning into practise with the support of staff in the blood taking section. I explained about my phobia, my dodgy veins and my new strategies.

The nurse in he section could not have been nicer. She, like all colleagues before her, talked me through the procedure, discussed my strategies and used her own of chatting throughout to put me at more ease. It worked! Today's experience was the best yet and I really want to thank my unknown angel who helped me today. \I am not sure every visit will be as easy but what a great start to me helping myself overcome my fears. A huge THANK YOU to the lady involved.

Dear AnnieMac,

This is such a lovely story to read, and I am so glad that this experience was so positive for you. I know how badly such a phobia can affect people, so I'm really pleased to hear that not only the techniques you have been learning have worked, but that the nurse looking after you really took this on board and worked with you to make this a much more comfortable procedure. She has really demonstrated how true person centred care can make a huge difference.

I will pass on your kind comments to the team, and I hope that your experiences continue to be so positive.

Best Wishes,