"Day surgery"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / General Surgery

Had to walk to theatre and on entering theatre surgeon, anethatist theatre nurse all standing chatting in corner. Very impersonal, and not very reassuring. Felt as if I was just a number and no one was really bothered as to how I was feeling.

Dear Crazycat,

Oh dear, I am really sorry that you felt that no one really bothered about your feelings and that it was not very personal. The group chatting may have genuinely been required to have that conversation to ensure your safe passage through day surgery but It is always good to remind us how you feel about things you experience while in our care. I will pass this to all the team for their reflection and I am sure the staff will learn from this. Thank you for letting us know about your feelings, it can be easy for us to forget how stressful these events can be. I hope you are well now.

Best wishes,

Eunice

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We have made a change

Dear Crazycat,

I have spoken to the Nurse in Charge of the day unit and she would like you to know

“I have read your story and I am sorry that in this case you did not have a good experience in DSU. All patients who are fit walk to theatre now do so whether it is DSU or Main Theatre. We do not have anaesthetic rooms in DSU so patients do go straight into theatre. I will discuss your concerns with the theatre staff and endeavour to make sure this situation does not arise again”.

We hope you are well now and thank you for letting us know about this,

Best wishes,