"Our time was wasted"

About: Royal Derby Hospital / General surgery

My father-in-law is very unsteady on his feet and is 84 years old. He has lost confidence in driving too far from home and therefore relies on me to drive him to Derby Royal hospital when he is asked to attend an appointment.

I live in Worksop Notts and he lives in Alfreton Derbyshire. His appointment time was 8. 45am so I left very early to make sure we weren't going to be late.

I am self employed but quite happy to lose a days work to help my father-in-law attend hospital appointments but what I get so annoyed about is when those hospital visits are absolutely pointless.

He saw the specialists for just a minute or two and he was told that his blood test results are fine and he is now discharged. What a total waste of fuel used by both cars. A wasted morning for both of us which was very tiring for my father-in-law and costly for me. So, after paying £2. 20 parking fees I got him back home and I drove back up the M1 to Worksop.

Why was he not just phoned to say his blood tests are ok and there is no need to come to the hospital and that he is now discharged?

Why was everyone's time wasted?

Why did he have to attend hospital?

I am disgusted because this isn't the first time this has happened.

Response from Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Good Afternoon

Thank you for the comments you have posted on the Patient Opinion website.

We would be happy to investigate the concerns you have raised, but we would need some additional information in order to do so. You can contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) either by e-mail at dhftcontactpals@nhs.net or Tel: 01332 785156.

Regards

PALS

Response from Royal Derby Hospital

Good Morning

Thank you for the comments you have posted on the NHS Choices website.

Regards PALS