"Disappointed with treatment at A&E"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics NHS 111

One morning in September I trapped my fingers in the fire door hinge of my uni accommodation. I wasn't worried about the injury too much, my fingers were just a little numb so I strapped them together myself. Soon after my injury a rash formed all down the fingers I'd trapped and all over my thumb, I rang 111 in worry and they told me to go to A&E.

When I mentioned to the nurse that I was worried this rash was related because it arrived within a hour of my injury she replied that she didn't deal with rashes, just breakages and injuries, so I should go to my local GP. I was very disappointed in this as I had just walked an hour to find out what this rash was and she refused to even look at it and sent me away after just x-raying one finger even though I had injured two and both were in pain. Next time I'm not even going to bother as the 111 number was far more helpful and informative to me than a trip to Lincoln county A&E department.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mindbogglingbob,

I am sorry you were disappointed following your recent visit to Lincoln A&E and apologise if we were unable to reassure you regarding the rash on your hand.

If you would like me to investigate with the nurse involved please send your full name and date of birth to Sharon.Kidd@ulh.nhs.uk

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister