"Mammogram Disgust"

About: University Hospital Aintree

Today I had a mammogram at Aintree Hospital, it will be my last.

I have had two previous mammograms, one at Aintree, the other in a mobile unit, so I am fully aware of what to expect. Discomfort and some pain, but nothing I couldn't tolerate. That is till today.

The person who carried out the procedure reduced me to tears. The pain was intolerable (and I have a good pain threshold) it was appalling.

My collarbone was trapped by the plates and they insisted on trying to pull my arm forward into an impossible position, seeming to forget that I do have a rib cage. I left the hospital in tears. I raised the matter with the consultant in the follow up consultation. I should of left a much happier woman after being given the all clear but I am still in discomfort and upset by the whole process. I reiterate that this is not my first mammogram, so what went wrong? No compassion was shown by either member of staff who were present in the room, disgusting.

Response from University Hospital Aintree

Hi and thanks for getting in touch.

We're really sorry to hear that you experienced a lot of pain during your mammogram, and that you felt that our staff were not supportive during the procedure.

If you would like to take your complaint further our Patient Advice and Complaints team can help. You can contact them by emailing customerservice@aintree.nhs.uk, by calling 0151 529 2400 or by writing to:

Patient Advice and Complaints department