"Brilliant care"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

My husband spent all of August in the RD&E in various wards (his favourite was okement) lovely staff and matron the care he recived was excellent. He came home for two days and was re admitted with back pain which turned out to be an infection in his spine but the treatment we had from our 999 call was not good. They wouldn't send an ambulance and put us in contact with a GPs, who was a waste of time and wanted to know what blood tests he'd had and where the pain was, which I didn't know. Eventually I rang back said his back was swollen and an ambulance arrived in 10 mins. He's home now better but not right think it will take a while it was a worrying time. I did complain filled in forms but heard nothing.

Response from Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Thank you for taking the time to share your husband's experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received.

I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

With regard to your comments about the 999 call I would suggest that you contact the South Western Ambulance Service as we are unable to comment on this aspect.

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear Sue Fox

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding to these experiences of health care and the ambulance service. At Healthwatch we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss this or any health or social care issue with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain
Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.