"Dermatology clinic IRH"

About: Inverclyde Royal Hospital / Dermatology

I was visiting the clinic to have a mole checked after being referred by my GP and from the moment I entered until I left I found the attitudes of all staff members to be disappointing!

It seemed to me that none of them wanted to be there! I found the receptionist unpleasant and the nurses are not any better. It only got worse when I went into the examination room with a doctor who seemingly had no manners and offered no pleasantries. The doctor seemed to had made their mind up that the mole required no further investigation before they had seen it and it was only when pushed by myself and my partner that they agreed to order medical photography and make me a follow up appointment in three months. When I return I will request to see another doctor as I know I did not get a proper examination.

Dear Nurse2225,

I am really sorry to hear that you were left feeling disappointed by the attitude of the staff you encountered during your recent visit. We would expect all of our staff to treat patients politely and with respect at all times and I'm sorry that this was not your experience. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the department as it is important that we can reflect on the welcome we provide and the atmosphere we create, particularly for patients who may already be worried or anxious.

You mentioned that medical photography and a follow up appointment were agreed, and I hope that this goes well. You are of course well within your rights to request a second opinion from another doctor as you mention and so I hope that your next visit will be an altogether more positive experience. I would appreciate if you could get in touch again after your next appointment to let me know if whether or not there have been any improvements, either through Patient Opinion or directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk. Please also use this email address if you would like to add anything in the meantime, or if I can be of any further help at this time.

With best wishes,