"Being left in the dark over cancer diagnosis"

About: Addenbrooke's Hospital / Colorectal surgery

I was sent to Addenbrookes by my GP after he found an abdominal lump during a physical exam. I had requested to see my GP after suffering from bad heartburn for over a decade, worsening in the last two months. My heartburn had not been taken seriously before, but this had now become extremely painful and was not relieved by drinking Gaviscon etc.

I was sent an appointment to attend the colorectal cancer clinic - no one had formally discussed with me before that this might be cancer.

I attended the colorectal clinic where a nurse repeated the physical exam of my abdomen but could find nothing. She told me I would be sent for a CT scan. I duly received an appointment, had my CT scan and went home. This had taken a couple of weeks. One day at home I answered the phone as it rang, and found myself talking to a nurse from the colorectal cancer clinic, who told me (in hushed, 'poor you' tones) that a lump had been found on the edge of the scan - not at all in the area my GP had initially sent me to the clinic to have investigated (although 'your bowels are not good, but that is a secondary issue') and my results had been reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team.

She also told me that someone from the clinic would be in touch directly to organise a gastroendoscope appointment with me. The tone of her voice and the way she emphasised continuously that 'we don't know for sure yet' left me thinking I had gastric cancer of an advanced state and she had just given me a death sentence. Given I was two weeks away from selling my house, moving to the other side of the country and starting a new job, this was not good - but there was no real sense of urgency.

I duly waited for someone to contact me about the endoscope appointment. And waited. And waited. Finally, after a week of waiting I called the clinic to find out if I had an appointment, and was told 'yes' - the next day. Because of this, I received no instructions about how to prepare for the examination, no letter to take to the clinic for my appointment and no directions on how to get there. I was told the issue was caused because 'our booking system has changed and everyone is on holiday'. I suggested it was lucky that I had called and chased my appointment, or else I would be registered as a DNA - this did not go down well.

I duly had my endoscope, and biopsies were taken. I spoke to the consultant who carried it out, who obviously couldn't give me a diagnosis until the cytology had come back. After a week of anxiety between the colorectal nurse calling me with the CT results, and the panic about not being sent my endoscope appointment, I was feeling pretty wiped out as you can imagine, so the care he took to talk to me was a highlight.

Since then I have still not had ANY letter, call, or hint about what the results of the biopsy were. I am still in the dark as to what I might have growing inside me. I have received no letter about ongoing care, or any care plan at all. I am still waiting to hear ONE MONTH later.

Come on Addenbrookes ,this is cancer we are talking about and you have left me in the dark twice now. I would like to know what is going on, and to have someone apologise - without making excuses, if that is possible?

Response from Complaints and PALS Manager, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences at Addenbrooke's Hospital. I was very sorry to learn of the communication problems you report and that you are still waiting for results. I can fully appreciate how worrying this must be.

I have passed your feedback to the team, but I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01223 216756 or email pals@addenbrookes.nhs.uk so that we can follow this up for you.

Complaints and PALS Manager