"Department moved but patients not told"

About: William Harvey Hospital

I attend the DVT Clinic every three months for venesection. Today I followed the signage to the usual location in the Orange Zone. Signage became more confusing and conflicting as I got closer, then I couldn't find the unit. When I asked for directions at a nurses' station, I was directed to the "Discharge Lounge" in a different area of the hospital and on a lower floor. Signage was poor and it took some time to find it.

If units are moved, why doesn't the hospital tell patients with appointments? My appointment was made three months ago, so there is no excuse. Why cannot signage be amended to reflect the current locations, instead of sending patients the wrong way? I am fortunate not to have mobility problems, but for anyone less mobile this would have made life very difficult.

It is already a nuisance that my appointment times were changed from early morning to late afternoon, when the car park is full and finding a space is very difficult. Why not do this treatment at the Victoria in Folkestone?

My sympathies are with staff who have to listen to patients making the same complaints.

Response from William Harvey Hospital

This must have been very frustrating for you - but thank you for highlighting this issue; we will look into it straight away and make sure improvements are put in place so that other patients do not suffer like this.