"ward service for ophthalmology"

About: Royal Bolton Hospital

The cataract operation went well. After following the treatment as prescribed i later had some discomfort(itching) in the eye. I wasn't due for my review for over a week and sought advice from the ward as recommended by the booklet i was given after the operation. I wanted to have someone look at the problem, they said it was normal and to use natural tears. after 3 days of using the drops the issue continued. I contacted the ward again, once again i hoped for an appointment for someone to examine me(and asked for it), once again told by the ward sister to carry on with the tears a\s this was normal.

When i attended for my follow up appointment I was prescribed further medication for a month.

Though no problems were caused by the poor actions/advice from the ward, my discomfort and distress could have been resolved by a visit and starting the medication earlier.

Response from Royal Bolton Hospital

We're sorry to hear this and apologise for the discomfort you have experienced. Your comments have been passed on to the staff for reflection.