"Diabetic Centre Gartnavel Hospital Glasgow"

About: Gartnavel General Hospital / Diabetes Clinic/Centre Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow

I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I have been attending the Diabetic Clinic at Gartnavel for over 20 years for my 6 monthly reviews.

The service I have received has always been first class up until about 2 years ago. Now my appointments are routinely cancelled, rearranged and then cancelled again. I have now reached the stage where I haven't been seen by a diabetic specialist since November last year and the clinic is unable to give me another appointment due to lack of resources.

Apparently this situation has happened as the clinic has insufficient staff (they have been moved to the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital) and are having to routinely cancel clinics.

Diabetes is a life long condition and the key to reducing the chances of serious complications is to have good control and to have regular check ups with a Diabetes specialist. I have reached the stage where I am no longer receiving this service.

Dear AAG,

I am really sorry to hear this and appreciate how frustrated you must be feeling since you have seen such a change in the service you have been using for such a long time.

I have passed your comments on to the General Manager for this service for more information, and I may come back to you for some more personal details to help us to look into your case in particular. Either way, I will get some more information to you as soon as possible but I wanted to make sure your post was acknowledged in the meantime.

Best Wishes,

Update posted by AAG (the patient)

Thanks for your prompt response Lorna. Something has gone wrong at the Diabetes Centre at Gartnavel which needs urgent attention.