"Heart failure and Hip Operation - both superbly..."

About: Colchester General Hospital

In 2012 I was an emergency admission with a wrongly diagnosed condition. Staff on EAU quickly established I had dilated cardiomyopathy and my care was swift, effective and keenly professional. I felt well supported on the ward and subsequently, under the expert care of the wonderful Consultant, I have been restored to a full and active life: something that seemed improbable when I was first admitted. I feel privileged to have this kind, gentle, modest and eminently knowledgeable person as my consultant and fully confident in all his decisions.

Last week I was readmitted to the hospital for a total hip replacement operation and was again overwhelmed by the sleek efficiency, friendliness and professionalism of staff. My particular thanks go to a particular member of staff and their amazing mentor who explained every aspect of proceedings, involved me in all decisions, talked calmly to me throughout the operation (I had a spinal with no sedation) and seemed genuinely concerned for my mental and physical well-being both during and after the operation. They even visited me on the ward a day later to ensure I was well and happy. The experience was fascinating and an impressive showcase of how top-flight machinery and top-flight staff can achieve medical triumphs.

I was up within 5 hours of the operation thanks to the surgeon's skill and the sensitive handling of anaesthesia. Within 2 days I was ready for discharge.

Life on Great Tey ward was warm, friendly and supportive- and the involvement of all services (physiotherapy/ occupational therapy/pharmacy) were well-oiled and enmeshed. Even the food was great!

Sincere congratulations and much appreciation to you all.

Response from Colchester General Hospital

Thank you for such wonderful comments, I will ensure they are shared with the team involved.

Many kind regards