"Excellent staff but . . ."

I have just returned from Birmingham Dental Hospital after having 2 troublesome molars extracted. The staff - especially the dental surgeon - were very pleasant and, more importantly, extremely competent and professional. This had also been the case when I first went to the hospital for assessment which led to the treatment. But Birmingham Dental Hospital is clearly working under great pressure. It took 2 months from referral from my own dentist before I was given an appointment for assessment - and then another 1 month before I was treated. Mercifully, I suffered no problems with my teeth during the 3 months, but it could have been different. My 2 visits were pretty depressing experiences as the building has become very run-down and scruffy and 2 of the 3 toilets (on different floors!) were closed and taped off. I know the dental hospital is moving to more modern premises at the end of 2015, but I'm sure a better job could be done of holding together basic facilities for patients during the wind-down.

Response from Birmingham Dental Hospital

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry the facilities were in need or repair when you visited.

As you have noted, the hospital is looking forward to relocating to a brand new hospital later this year, and in the meantime is working hard to maintain the existing environment in the lead up to the move.

I will ask for the situation with the toilets to be addressed if possible - as I am sure you will appreciate, without details it is difficult to know the extent of repairs required; however I am hopeful that it will be possible to make the necessary repairs (and may already have been).

The hospital works hard to see patients within the required referral to treatment time, and rely on patients' own dentists to help manage any symptoms patients have whilst waiting to be seen.

I am pleased to see that you did not experience any problems during your waiting for both assessment and subsequently for treatment.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Alison Last Associate Director of Patient Experience Bham Community Healthcare Trust