"Medical Day Unit"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I attended the Day Unit for a sample of Bone Marrow to be taken at 9 45am on 18/8/2015 after referral from the Haematology clinic on a previous appointment.

Understandably I was apprehensive.

I must say the treatment I received from the technician and the attending nurse was excellent.

The nurse who looked after me put me at ease, showing me some breathing techniques which helped me so much to focus my mind and relax me , making the procedure so much more bearable.

The technician introduced themself and told me exactly what they would do at each stage of the procedure. They were so friendly and caring that I didn't feel afraid at all. In fact so competent that I didn't realise they had finished taking the fluid before taking the scraping from the bone.

Yes it was not pleasant, but not half as bad as I had thought it would be.

Thank you to the technician and the attending nurse for all their care.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Barbara,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We pride ourselves in being able to deliver a high quality patient-centred service.

Undergoing a bone marrow biopsy is something which many patients dread, however with the right staff and techniques, as you have found, it is over and done with before you know it.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Emma Ryland,