"Delayed referral"

About: Devon Referral Support Services

After a GP visit I was told I was being referred to my local hospital. 3 weeks later I call back saying I've not heard anything to be told the hospital has my referral. So I ring the hospital and am told they have no record of the referral. Call to the GP again and they manage to track down the Devon Referral Services who appear to have been sat on my referral for 3 weeks without doing anything.

After calling them I am told the referral will be sent to the hospital (there's two to choose from but I'll be picking the one nearby which my GP referred me to in the first place).

I'm a little confused as to what help this referral service is as all it does is slow down the process of getting an appointment where you need it. This is actually the second time I've had a similar problem with a delayed appointment with the same service.

Response from Rachael Burridge, Head of Operations and Reporting, DRSS, NEW Devon CCG

Dear ‘dazman021077’

Thank you for taking the time to feed back your experience, and apologies for the frustration the situation is causing you.

Unfortunately, without any details about your referral I can’t really give any helpful information on this posting about what has happened to your referral. If you could call me tomorrow on 07971 149 644 or email me at rachael.burridge@nhs.net so we can get some more details then I will be able to look into the situation for you.

I’m going on leave from Wednesday so if you want to respond after tomorrow please contact my colleague Steve on 01752 307751 or email steve.matson@nhs.net.

Apologies once again for the frustration this situation is causing.

All the best