"fatigue management course was an absolute lifeline for me"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Occupational Therapy Wishaw General Hospital / Rheumatology

I completed a fatigue management course at Wishaw Hospital yesterday. This was an absolute lifeline for me. Fiona and Gemma, the two occupational therapists who ran the course, gave me so many strategies and skills to help me manage the arthritis conditions. Medication alone is not enough, Fiona and Gemma really understood this and were prepared to listen and understand the daily challenges I face. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they explained everything so well it was clear and easy to understand.

The other benefit was that it allowed me to form a network with people with similar conditions, others who knew exactly what it is like to have a condition that affects your daily routines. I now have someone I can turn to and to whom I can also provide support.

This course has been paramount to me. It is an excellent programme – I wish it had been around when I was first diagnosed!

Response from Janice McClymont, Occupational Therapy Head of Profession, Occupational Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Argon449, Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding our newly launched fatigue managment programme for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. I an delighted that you found the programme helpful, and that you feel you have learned new strategies and information to help you cope better with everyday activities and work. I will ensure that Kim and Jenna, and the rest of the rheumatology occupational therapy team, are made aware of the porsitive impact their approach has made. This will help to inform how we develop the programme in the future, and will be a great help to other people who may find themselves in a similar situation. I wish you continued success and best wishes. Janice