"Hospital not sending appointment details"

About: West Suffolk Hospital / Older people's healthcare

My aunt is being treated by West Suffolk Hospital for severe weight loss caused by forgetting to eat as she has Alzheimer's. The hospital has a Lasting Power of Attorney but I have had an ongoing issue with appointment letters being sent to my aunt's house, not me about her next appointment. I have to take her to the appointment (a 100+ round trip).

The hospital agreed to inform me of appointments, but kept sending letters to my aunt. I phoned admissions and they said it was their policy to send the letter to the patient, not the relative, to 'remind' them. I was shocked they could use 'remind; ' in the context of an Alzheimer's patient. I stressed that I was trying to help both my aunt, and the hospital to ensure she did not miss an appointment.

The dietician has now spoken directly to admissions and I hope the issue is sorted.

Response from West Suffolk Hospital

We are sorry to hear of the ongoing issues you are experiencing and urge you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) manager on 01284 712555 or PALS@wsh.nhs.uk