"A&E and waiting time for CT scan!!"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency Crosshouse Hospital / General Medicine

Was told by A DOC to go to A&E to be admitted because of a 6 day headache this was at 11. 30am. I sat in A&E department next to xray room until just after 9pm then was seen by an apologetic doctor which I have to state was very nice and listened to what was going on with me. after I explained what had been happening straight away it was suspected I had a bleed in head, I was really worried at this point trying to take in what was going to happen. I was to get a CT scan then possibly a lumbar puncture......after 10 oclock I was settled in clinical decisions unit with no scan done and still in excruciating pain.

Every day doc would come round and still saying suspected subarrachnoid haemorrhage. 3 days it took from being admitted till having CT scan that came back clear so proceeded to lumbar puncture on day 4. thankfully that was fine as well and I was discharged on day 5 but cant help thinking what if it had been more serious and had to wait that long for a scan is ridiculous.

I have to add the nurses and doctors were very polite and caring and apart from what I have said I was well looked after by all the staff. they do a very good job under difficult circumstances.

Dear kimmydoll,

What a very frightening and worrying experience. I agree this does seem like a long time to wait but it is possible that there were other clinical reasons for this delay.

I think that in order to get an answer to this for you we would we need to ask the question of the clinicians looking after you and for that I would need your date of birth or CHI number, your name and your address. If you would like me to check this out for you please contact me at - eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone me on 01563 826222.

I am sorry if this added distress to an otherwise distressful and anxious time and I hope you are now fit and well. I will pass this on so that the teams can benefit from your feedback both the good and the not so good.

Best wishes,