"Miss communication"

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / General Surgery

I was admitted for a shoulder operation, because of high BMI I was needing to be in a high dependency unit after surgery, after seeing the anesthetist. I was informed that the hospital did not have this facility and my surgery was canceled and I was told I would get another date through. This was all discussed at my pre op and I am disgusted that this information was not passed onto the surgery team. I had taken time off my work and now need to reschedule everything and wait even longer for another date!

Dear patient35,

I can appreciate your frustration with this situation as I know that there is a lot of preparing for an operation - not only in logistics of work etc but mentally getting ready too.

I will pass your comments on to the service for more detail on how such information should be passed on in these circumstances. If you would however like me to look further into your particular experience, please contact me on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk with some of your personal details and I will be happy to do so.

I will be back in touch soon,

Best Wishes,