"One frightening experience just before surgery"

About: Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre

As I was being given a spinal anaesthetic, I experienced a violent and very frightening shock and I heard things clatter on to the floor. The nurse was wonderfully helpful. For all that, I was rather shaken at the very moment when I needed calm and confidence. And at no time afterwards did anyone give me any explanation or reassurance. On the other hand, I should wish to express my gratitude for the high quality of all my other experiences in the hospital. If I or my husband need hospital treatment, we shall still choose Shepton Mallett!

Response from Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre

Dear Mrs Harrison

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your treatment with us.

We are very sorry for the disruption during your spinal anaesthetic when some equipment was accidently knocked over. We agree that this must have been worrying for you and that you should have had a proper explanation and allowed some time to calm your self before the procedure continued. Please accept our apologies that this did not happen.

It was lovely to hear that apart from this incident, you were very happy with the high quality of the care you received and that you would have no hesitation in returning to us. I will ensure you comments are passed onto the team.

Trudy Craig RN