"I would like to access my medical records"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

I have being applying for life insurance from various companies, each time I get to the medical records questions I have disclosed that I have been at my gp regarding stress on a few occasions in the last five years, as I do not know the months/years I attended they the have asked me to speak to my gp surgery regarding this matter. I recently phoned the surgery and was told that its up to the insurance company to apply for this information, I then phoned back insurance company and they said that because I could be accurate in even the year I attended they need this information. I personally would also like this information as I would also like to be accurate in the information I give them as I wouldn't want anything to potentially validate my policy, therefore I am formally asking to access my medical records for the last five years by via subject access request

Dear stevue,

You absolutely have the right to look at your medical records to find out the information you are looking for, and the practice manager at your GP surgery should be able to provide this for you.

Below is a link to a leaflet on how to see your health records which gives some information on the process - it does mention that you may have to request this in writing to the Practice Manager at your GP service. You should also be aware that in certain circumstances there may be a cost involved, however this leaflet will explain all of that in more detail:

This leaflet also has the details for a number of help-lines which will be of use if you have any more trouble with getting access to the information you need. I hope this helps to move things forward for you.

Best Wishes,