"Policy of No Pain relief during child birth"

About: Royal Oldham Hospital

I attended the maternity unit on Friday 19th June with my daughter who was to be induced with her third child. I had attended the old unit ten years earlier with my first grandchild and in my view although the premises are modern and clean the staff lack compassion and an animal would have been treated better in such pain. My daughter asked for an epidural to be told she had to be 4cm before it could be considered however she was not examined to establish how many cm she was. She begged for gas and air again to be told she could not have this in the antenatal room. There were three members of staff in the antenatal unit that night for a unit with a capacity of 26 beds. She was left unmonitored until 5 minutes before the birth. THese people are a disgrace to their profession.

Response from Royal Oldham Hospital

We are sorry to read your comment regarding your daughters visit to the Maternity Unit at the Royal Oldham Hospital. If you wish to discuss your concerns, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 604 5897. We will also forward your comment to the department manager to address.