"I feel very glad my illness was so well taken care of"

About: Queen Mary's Hospital / Mental health care

I was admitted to Queen Mary's in Roehampton in January 2014 and stayed for 2 months. I was having a manic episode - the first in 11 years.

The care I received from most of the staff was really good. I know a little bit about nurses - that they work extremely hard for not a great deal of reward financially. Despite this, most of the staff on Rose Ward are helpful, encouraging, supportive and genuinely concerned.

There are two I want to mention in particular. They are both mental health nurses. Vida gave me a lot of attention, and helped me to look at things clearly. Her calm and patient nature soothed me. The other was Waheed who treated me with respect and helped me to have confidence in my own recovery.

This was invaluable and I took advantage of it as much as I could. I had a good experience of being in hospital and although there were inevitably some bad moments I felt very glad that my illness had been so well taken care of.

Response from Jane Healey, Patient Experience Lead, Governance, South West London and St George's Mental Health Trust

Jane

Response from Queen Mary's Hospital

Message from South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust. Dear Sondra, my name is Jane and I am the Patient Experience Lead for Wandsworth. I am very pleased to hear of the positive experience you had when you were admitted to Rose Ward in 2014. I appreciate that being an inpatient on a psychiatric ward can often be a difficult experience and I am very happy that you found the staff to be helpful and supportive to you. I have passed on your comments to the staff on the ward and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and wish you luck in your recovery journey. Jane