"A&E experience"

About: Barnet General Hospital

I went into A&E with a suspected DVT. The staff were all friendly and explained things clearly, but had little idea of actual waiting times for each part of the process. The pre-triage assessment came after45 min wait. When I saw the triage nurse after another hour and a half they said that the previous doctor should have ordered a blood test and was apologetic that it hadn't been done. When I finally had a very good assessment by the second doctor and had had my blood test I was told the results would be 'an hour to ninety minutes.' 2 hours later I was still waiting. It was only after I asked a nurse that my blood test result was found for me and after a bit the doctor came over and explained my results. The staff were polite and helpful but I was there for five hours, from mid afternoon to evening, which is unacceptable.

Response from Barnet General Hospital

Thanks for your comments and apologies that you were unhappy with the amount of time you spent in A&E. We do our best to see patients as quickly as possible and we will pass your feedback on to the team in A&E, as we are always looking for ways we can improve our service.