"An amazing credit to the NHS!"

About: Torbay Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

My 82 year old mum fell and broke her wrist yesterday and I want to share with you her experience at Torbay Hospital.

She went to A&E yesterday who strapped her arm and told her she was a priority case who needed an operation. I was contacted by a doctor at 8pm last night who told me mum would be seen on Sunday and that they would contact me first thing. Sure enough they called at 8. 45 am today and asked us to bring her in within 2 hours which we did.

We arrived at 10. 45, she was attended to immediately in a freshly cleaned room and by 11. 30 after visits from nurses, anaesthetist and surgeon she was on a bed being wheeled to theatre. At 1. 00pm I received a call informing me everything was done, she was out of recovery and they were giving her soup and cups of tea. I was able to pick her up at 2pm and bring her home!

What incredible service from a fantastic team in the Ainslie Ward. Each and every one of the people mum saw was warm, friendly, respectful and efficient. I just want to say THANK YOU. you are amazing and a credit to the NHS!

Response from Jo Curtis, Patient Engagement Lead, Engagement Team, South Devon and Torbay CCG

Dear Sweetheart,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your great feedback about Torbay hospital. I'm really sorry to hear of your mum's accident, but so glad she got the high standard of care and attention that our local hospital expects to provide.

The hospital will see this and will be able to bring your comments to the attention of the departments that looked after you and your mum so well. We have also noted it here at the Clinical Commissioning Group.

Thanks again and best wishes for your mum's swift recovery.

• Sweetheart thinks this response is helpful

Response from Torbay Hospital

We are delighted to read your encouraging comments. Staff appreciate hearing about patients and their relatives positive experiences and your feedback will be shared with those concerned. Kind regards South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'Sweetheart'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding through Patient Opinion to what was clearly a good experience.

More generally we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.