"Phlebotomy"

About: Royal Victoria Hospital (Folkestone)

This used to be an excellent service, but no more. The appointment system has been abolished, so you must go and wait, the service starts at 8.30am, there is one person on, they were taking ten minutes to take bloods before 9am. I arrived at 8.40 - later than expected, no where to park - there were 18 people in front of me, I left at 8.58. ( three people had been tested) I asked at the reception about the service, the doors open at 8.00, the ticket machine is put out at 8.30 and there is one person on from 8.30, another Phlebotomist joins them at 9, so the Phlebotomists start the day with a huge backlog and everyone is fed up. I have made an appointment at my doctors surgery and will have to change the appointment the blood tests were needed for.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Melita,

I am so sorry to hear of the expereince you had at Folkestone. I will ensure the department recieve this feedback in order to make some improvements. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to let us know. Sally

Response from Royal Victoria Hospital

I am sorry that your experience was not good. It sounds as though you visited at a particularly busy day. Sadly it is often very busy first thing in the morning. I am unable to explain why the bloods were taking such a long time per patient as this is not very usual.