"Problem with appointment during holiday"

About: Queen Margaret Hospital / General Surgery

In April, I consulted my GP about worrying changes in my breast. She referred me to the Breast Clinic. I had a holiday booked, but my GP said to go and she would mention date of return in her referral. I also phoned with holiday dates.

I returned on 24/05/2015, after an awful holiday, as I had been quite ill with internal bleeding. I found in my mail a letter giving me an appointment on 13/05/2015, when they knew I was away, and an Administrative Letter saying I did not attend my appointment.

When I phoned the first appointment I could get was 11/06/2015.

I feel I am being made to wait longer, as I did not attend. This was not my fault, but I have to endure weeks of worry because of staff inefficiency.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Conchita1214

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like you are having a terrible time with your health right now and I am sorry that this interfered with your holiday too. It must be a very worrying time for you. It is clear there has been an administrative failing relating to your appointment and I am sorry about that. If you want to contact me directly I can follow up on the specifics.

Kind Regards