"Monday 25 May 2015"

About: East Surrey Hospital

I was in AMU today with my wife waiting to see a Doctor for her. Suddenly there was a loud crash and a young lady had fall over. I immediately went over to her. She said her back was extremely painful and when she turned her head I could see a large bump. I was holding her hand all the time as she was crying and obviously in a lot of pain. Her eyes rolled and she seemed very disoriented. Nurses appeared together with two Porters one with the yellow slide boards the other with a trolley. It was obvious the slide boards were going to be used to lift her on the trolley - wrong! A Sister appeared and said she could sit up (!) and be put on the trolley. Unbelievable! This Sister's nursing skills were more than a little questionable. Anyone with any sense knows you do not lift anyone who is in pain by making them sit up to get them on a trolley. The Porters were absolutely correct in bringing the slide boards and a trolley, so why on this did the apparent Sister not use these facilities? Their behaviour was unacceptable and I sincerely hope my family do not come into nursing contact with them. They instilled no confidence whatsoever. Not acceptable at all. Only sorry I didn't get their name. They were most certainly not a good advert for nursing, and their nursing skills are most definitely questionable. They need to go back to basics and learn how to do basic common sense training. I sincerely hope the young lady (who incidentally is a Doctor herself) is ok and will make a full recovery.

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Mr Beck,

I will ensure that your observations are passed on to the matron of the acute medical unit. I have inquired into the incident that you describe and can reassure you that the staff member concerned was treated in our emergency department.

Thank you for your assistance, your help was appreciated.

With best wishes,