"Concerned about my son's mental health treatment and complaint handling!"

About: Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust Royal Bolton Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

I feel that there is a total lack of care and understanding, by both Bolton hospital and Greater Manchester West mental health trust of people with a serious, diagnosed mental health condition.

The response I had from my complaint to Bolton FT and GMWMHT about the care and understanding my son was denied when he went to Bolton A&E was apalling and just reinforced my initial views of these uncaring institutions. My son was diagnosed with schizophrenia 12 months prior to going to Bolton Hospital to seek help. Regrettably, he had taken amphetamine, to relieve his symptoms, 24hrs before his visit to hospital and this had put him in a highly psychotic state. He was very frightened and anxious.

He was honest and open to staff about what he'd taken, however, staff only focused on the substance misuse and dismissed the fact that he suffered from schizophrenia. He was told to go home and go to bed! Cutting a long story short he ended up in prison.

I made a complaint and had a meeting with representatives from both Trusts but was very disappointed with the outcome. It would of been easier to get a straight answer from a politician. I felt that they defended their staff unconditionally and blamed my son, saying he should not of gone to the A&E department. If people with enduring mental health conditions can't receive help and support from staff in hospitals where do they go?

Response from Heather Edwards, Head of Communications, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

The Trust is aware of your concerns and we are sorry that you are unhappy with the response you received to your complaint. If you wish to take this further please follow the process outlined in the letter you have received.

• Dove57 doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Response from Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Dove57,

We are very sad to hear of your ongoing dissatisfaction with our services in Bolton and the way your complaints have been handled. We try at all times to find a resolution to problems people experience. However, sometimes finding a resolution can prove extremely difficult and further options may have to be considered for a more independent consideration of what has happened. Please contact our Customer Care Team Manager, Jonathan Roberts, to discuss possible next steps that could be helpful for you and your son.

Email: customercare@gmw.nhs.uk

Telephone: 0161 772 4663 or Freephone 0800 587 4793.

Opening times: Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

Best wishes,

Communications Team

Response from Royal Bolton Hospital

Please see Patient Opinion website where we have already posted a response but NHS Choices has not reproduced it.

• Dove57 doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful