"Going downhill fast"

About: William Harvey Hospital

The Ophthalmology Department has really gone downhill. My stepdad has been waiting since January for a cataract appointment and his Optician faxed over a referral for cataract removal and were assured fax had been received but when my mum called she spoke to an unhelpful secretary who didn't seem to care less. The Cataract line was difficult to get through and when she did it was a case of 'things do go astray' 'we have no record of him on our database' 'may be attached to another piece of paper'. Funny enough his referral was found. Surely people with diabetes need to be extra careful with their eyes. Appalling and my other concern is a condition called wet age related macular degeneration which needs urgent attention. This Department needs a serious overhaul. If I ever need my eyes looked at I will go to Benenden. The only thing I have praise for are the consultants. They are lovely!!

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this feedback. I am so sorry our service was so distressing. I will indeed ask the team to review their processes to ensure this does not happen to somebody else. Please accept my sincere apologies.